Distance education is a method of education in which students learn it remotely. The students learn in their way (with or without facing the teacher). They choose their place and their method and their time by themselves. Today, most of the student those pursue this programme learn by online such as via satellite, television, fibre optic cable, disk, telephones, printed materials, computer, compressed video, microwave, etc. Thus, technology is the primary element of distance education. Distance education is world widely accessible, and hence, universities all over the world welcome you to join such courses. You can receive the information from the teacher whom you want. Distance education not only improves the quality of education system but also encourage the operation of technology but also expands technology.
Types of distance education:
There are various kinds of distance education whole over the world. Every student opts different method to learn. In earlier days, there was a single option for distance learning that is known as “correspondence”. But, because of the technical world, many other options are available for the students.
1. Asynchronous: In this method of education, students can learn according to their schedule of time. However, this system sets weekly learning time limit. It involves the process of receiving information such as videotape, DVD, broadcast video, audio files, podcasts, radio, E-mail, CD-ROM. The asynchronous technology does not deliver the information simultaneously. This system provides more than enough time to focus and learn the study material as well. Therefore, assignments and projects are much better in such programmes.
2. Synchronous: Synchronous distance learning has less complex technologies communication option such as video conferencing, audio conferencing, internet, video conferencing, internet chat, telephone conversation. This method delivers the study materials in the real time. A teacher and a student interact with each other at the same time. It often gets difficult because it provides fewer of time to understand the points.
3. Distance education through online: This method typically requires the learners at a fixed time. In this way of learning students attend the programmes in computer labs or a projector classroom. Here, the delivery of information takes place through the internet.
4. Hybrid distance learning: Hybrid distance learning also is known as blended learning. It is sometimes necessary to be physically present for the specific activity or lecture that cannot be possible from a distance. It is the technical learning system that involves both, classroom and online activity to learn the subjects. Students often use to gather in a classroom to have an important lecture or demonstration.
5. Certain time online courses: This online course is an ordinary method of learning. Such type of online programmes asks a student to be regular online. This way of online learning has fixed start and ending time as in classrooms. But you can attend your course material anywhere (at home, office, or anywhere out of the station).
6. Open time-table online courses: You are free of this type of online courses. Learning and finishing the assignments, all based on your velocity or schedule. In this medium, students get the material from emails, mailing lists, bulletin boards and internet-based textbooks. In this course, students receive a timetable initially. But they finish the assignments as they wish.
Advantages of distance education:
Distance education awards you a lot of benefits. It is the main reason that distance learning owned its name and fame widely. Students prefer it because they can achieve a degree, no matter where they live. If you are living in a community that has fewer options for schooling or further studies, distance courses are for you. Also, it helps you to get rid of shuttling. You do not need to waste your time and money while pursuing this leaning method. In comparison, online courses are usually cheaper than campus counterparts. Besides it, the online courses are based on your schedule. Thus, you can keep continue you jobs and extend your learning, income, experience and stability at the same time.
Disadvantages of Distance learning:
Besides the countless benefits of distance education, it has some negative points as well. While you are learning your course at home by taking online classes, it lessens your social interaction. Your decision of having online study takes you a step back. You miss the board discussions, room chats etc. You can lose motivation and your confidence by avoiding the classrooms. The most important factor is that sometimes you induce long distance between the competitive world and yourself and get fewer marks often. Many employers or fields do not accept the online degrees. Also, the majority of professionals do not work online. So, you misplace the majority of job opportunities. One of the major negative point of distance education that it offers the limited course. Sometimes it disappointed you if you want to be a professional such as medical or engineering profession. Additionally, because in the distance education you do not have a teacher standing opposite you asking questions, many students are not serious towards such learning programmes. They often have chances to be a failure or fewer marks.
Distance courses for professionals:
Distance courses are considered as the most significant flexible manner of receiving the education. Majority of the students are going for correspondence or online courses instead of regular college or university. Working professionals can pursue the distance education as many professionals course are available there.
1. Computer science: Majority of working students can opt some languages courses in the field of computer science such as C++, Java etc. Such programmes are excessively favourable for their career. They perform well in their professional field as well as gain quality education all because of distance education.
2. M.B.A: A large number of aspirants go for this course. M.B.A. or Master in Business Administration is considered as one of the best programmes for working professionals. Online M.B.A. programme does not disturb their daily routine and let them acquire knowledge from a reputed institute or university.
3. Engineering: Working professionals also have opportunities to improve their knowledge and skills in the field of engineering. They can go for various engineering courses such as civil engineering, communication engineering, electronics engineering, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering. Distance engineering courses are the best option for those working in technical sectors. Both, long-term courses and short-term diplomas and certificate courses are provided by distance learning system.
Popular distance education degree:
Distance education not only offers students degrees but also secure their future to a great extent. Students earn the degrees in some popular courses by joining reputed branch provide online education.
1. Associate degree: Associate’s degree is a popular undergraduate academic degree that students get in 1 or 2 years. It involves the programmes such as paralegal studies, graphic design, medical assistant, dental hygienist technology, diagnostic medical sonography, information technology.
2. Doctoral degree: An online doctoral degree is the best for those who want to be a professor or a researcher. Local university or institute does not provide doctorate, that’s why many prefer to have this course online by the side. It involves Ph.D. (engineering, law, psychology) programmes.
3. Bachelor degree: One can achieve the bachelor degree in one or two years by joining distance learning programmes. Student finds out the suitable job with such degrees. Students can earn the bachelor degree by joining online courses such as nursing, business, accounting, and criminal justice.
4. Master’s degree: Many working professionals can have the master degree to encourage their chances for advancement and to spread their world of knowledge and skills. One can join the courses like psychology, health ministration, and business etc. and can qualify administrative posts.